Moore Hall, Robins Hall and South Court residents asked to evacuate dorm because of pest control

<p>Residents of Moore Hall received an email on Tuesday&nbsp;asking them to evacuate their rooms due a pest control issue.&nbsp;</p>

Residents of Moore Hall received an email on Tuesday asking them to evacuate their rooms due a pest control issue. 

On Tuesday, March 28, residents of Moore Hall, Robins Hall and South Court received notices to evacuate their rooms because of pest control issues.

The University of Richmond administration first became aware of the issue on Monday, March 27, via a student online request through the work-order system.

“Our pest control contractor was contacted the same day with a request to service the building,” Allison Steele, manager of custodial and environmental services at UR, said. “They serviced the building the next day so that we could give residents notice that they would be entering their rooms.”

Residents were notified of the pest control through an email sent to them by their Resident Assistant. The email specified that residents would need to be out of their rooms from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesday, March 28. The email also advised that “food should be stored and sealed up. Clutter on the floors should be removed and out of the way.”

Moore Hall resident Joyce Zhang, WC ’20, said she had gotten the email about the pest control, but several of her friends did not check their emails and did not know pest control was coming.

“It was all very short notice,” she said. “It would have been better if we had more advance notice.”

The request from Moore Hall specified one corridor that had pests, but the entire dormitory was treated with pest control.

“We had the entire building treated as a preventative measure,” Steele said.

“I think the University is doing a good job containing the issue,” Rena Xiao, WC ’20, a resident of Moore Hall, said. “I’m glad it’s not like the issue in Wood with the bed bugs.”

In addition to Moore Hall, Robins Hall and South Court were also given similar treatments.

“We provide the same response to all buildings on campus whenever a concern is brought to our attention,” Steele said. “Facilities appreciates our students calling the Physical Plant and submitting work requests so that we can address any of their concerns.”

Contact reporter Claire Mendelson at claire.mendelson@richmond.edu.