Today's Forecast
Rain 51°F
April 23, 2017

OPINION: Every senior should donate after graduation

img_2954

Graphic by Annie Scalet/The Collegian

Dear Fellow Seniors,

As the end of the semester is upon us and we are about to set off around the country and globe, it is a wonderful time to begin to reflect on our time here at the University of Richmond.

Upon graduation in May, the class of 2017 will join the ranks of UR alumni. That means we will be counted when UR reports its alumni giving participation, and our gifts will make a difference in national rankings.

The Senior Class Legacy Campaign has worked tirelessly throughout the year to secure your support at any level, even if it is a symbolic gift of just a few dollars. We want to thank those who have already given back and encourage those who have not yet left their mark.

We all know that Richmond has a strong endowment and generous alumni support. But what most of us do not know is that even with the endowment, our tuition only covers about 60% of the cost of our student experience.

So how does UR fund the other 40%?

Gifts make up the difference. They provide funding support for scholarships and financial aid, faculty, research and student programming among others. These gifts come from thousands of people, mostly alumni.

But what are some of the programs that these gifts pay for?

Remember that UR Summer Fellowship funding you received for your unpaid internship? Thank the alumni. That SSIR field trip? Thank the alumni. That study abroad cultural stipend? Thank the alumni.

Even the cost of keeping Boatwright Memorial Library open 24/7 for your all-nighters is covered by alumni, parents and others who give to the Annual Fund.

When you participate in our Senior Class Legacy Campaign, you can designate your gift to whatever UR fund you deem worthy. You can support your school, department, team, club or make an unrestricted gift to the Annual Fund which supports every part of UR. No amount is too small. Collectively, we can make a difference.

Seniors, please take a minute to consider the impact UR had, the investment it made in you and how you can honor your time as our countdown to graduation begins. Leaving our legacy pays it forward for future Spiders, just like so many have done before us. This will be your first act as an alum and setting the course for your ongoing connection to UR.

Make your gift here!

Spider Love,

The Senior Class Legacy Campaign

Tagged: opinion, opinions, top stories, top-topinion, topstories

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in The Collegian.