Kappa Alpha Order awards Meg Pevarski with Greek Adviser of the Year

<p>Meg Pevarski, director of Greek life, receiving her award from the national Kappa Alpha Order. <em>Photo courtesy of the national Kappa Alpha Order's Facebook page.</em></p>

Meg Pevarski, director of Greek life, receiving her award from the national Kappa Alpha Order. Photo courtesy of the national Kappa Alpha Order's Facebook page.

Meg Pevarski, the University of Richmond’s assistant director for Greek life, was recently chosen to receive the Greek Adviser of the Year award from the Kappa Alpha Order National Headquarters.

With more than 100 KA chapters across the country, the Greek Adviser of the Year award is highly competitive 

The nomination came from KA’s President, Chris Guarino, who first heard about the award while attending the KA National Conference last year.

“Meg has always kept her door open," Guarino said. “She was always there for us when we needed her.”

The nomination process requires an essay to be written by the members of a KA chapter, and Guarino along with a few other members of the fraternity wrote one for Pevarski. 

Pevarski said that she had been unaware of the nomination until she had won the award.

“It’s a huge honor to be recognized within the profession," Pevarski said. “It means a great deal to be recognized for what I’m doing.”

Pevarski has worked for UR since 2013. Before that she had served as director of Greek life at Davidson College. 

At UR, her responsibilities include advising the fraternities and sororities on campus as well as addressing issues relative to the Greek organizations and ensuring that Greek life at UR continues to run smoothly.

“Since Meg’s arrival at the University as assistant director of [the Center for Student Involvement] and director of Greek life, she has had a tremendous impact on the Greek community but also [has been] integral in positively influencing the student experience,” Alison Keller, director for the Center for Student Involvement, said in an email interview.

Pevarski said she appreciates being nominated for the award because it symbolizes the strong relationship she has been able to build with students.

“Even if I hadn’t won, reading the recommendation letter that was written meant so much more to me than the award or a plaque on the wall because of the relationship I’ve been able to build with the students in our community,” Pevarski said. “The fact that they thought enough about me to write something on my behalf just really meant the world to me.”

Contact news writer Logan Etheredge and logan.etheredge@richmond.edu.