Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Spider Sports Recap: Week of Sept. 10

<p>Senior wide receiver Dejon Brissett had nine receptions for 104 yards on Thursday against&nbsp;Saint Francis.&nbsp;</p>

Senior wide receiver Dejon Brissett had nine receptions for 104 yards on Thursday against Saint Francis. 

Football

Sept. 13: Win 35-27 at Saint Francis University

Richmond scored two touchdowns in the final minute to complete a dramatic comeback against Saint Francis. Redshirt junior quarterback Kevin Johnson completed a 65-yard drive with a pass to senior receiver Tyler Wilkins to cut the Saint Francis lead to 29-27 with only two seconds left on the clock. In the game’s final play, Saint Francis attempted to lateral the ball multiple times, which resulted in a fumble. Junior Spider defensive end Maurice Jackson recovered the ball and ran it 29 yards for the touchdown and the victory.

This game was originally scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 15 in Richmond but was rescheduled at Saint Francis due to Hurricane Florence.

Women's Golf

Sept. 9-10: Second Place in the Kingsmill Intercollegiate in Williamsburg, Virginia.

The Spiders combined for a score of 306, finishing in second place only one point behind the winner, Marshall University, in the season opener. Senior Sophie DiPetrillo placed third overall with a score of 217.

Cross Country

Sept. 15: Delaware Invitational in Newark, Delaware.

Richmond finished first in the women’s 6000-meter race with seniors Colleen Carney, Amanda Corbosiero and Ave Grosenheider finishing first, second and third respectively overall.

Richmond also finished first in the men’s 8000-meter race. Junior Miles Clikeman finished first, freshman Peter Borger finished second and senior Johnny Hogue finished third overall.

Women's Soccer

Sept. 12: Loss 0-2 vs. Virginia Military Institute

VMI scored its two goals early in the first half to secure a victory. Richmond’s record fell to 0-7 to begin the season.

Sept. 16: Loss 1-4 at Old Dominion University

The Spiders’ struggles continued in Norfolk with sophomore midfielder TJ Anderson scoring the team's only goal.

Field Hockey

Sept. 13: Loss 2-7 at the University of Delaware

The Spiders lost to the 13th-ranked team. Freshman Steffie Bongers and junior Elise Zwicklbauer scored for Richmond.

Sept. 16: Win 1-0 vs. Saint Louis University

The Spiders shut out their A-10 rival with freshman Addie Nash scoring the game’s lone goal. Redshirt junior goalkeeper Emily Braunewell had five saves for Richmond in the shutout.