Sammy Adams talks about music, college, life

<p>Rapper Sammy Adams performs for hundreds of students at the Richmond Homecoming Concert.</p>

Rapper Sammy Adams performs for hundreds of students at the Richmond Homecoming Concert.

Sammy Adams performed at this year's homecoming concert on the Westhampton Green Friday, Oct. 17. A collaboration among the Center for Student Involvement, Spider Board and both the Richmond and Westhampton colleges government associations organized the show that drew around 1,000 student attendees. According to the CSI, there was “overwhelming demand for tickets” and “approximately 200 students on the waiting list.” DJ Matt Purdy, Richmond College ’14, opened the event at 10 p.m. Adams took the stage around 10:45, and fielded questions in a question-and-answer session afterwards.

Q: Does playing for college students affect your performance? Do you prefer larger stadium shows?

A: It immediately puts me right back in college. It’s very nostalgic. I started with a motif on Logic (music production software) and now I have 2,000 kids rocking with me. I was one of those kids who was at every show Trinity threw.

It’s definitely a different environment than doing rehearsals and getting a band. I didn’t even start with a DJ. You have to be so on point. You can’t miss a beat. So yeah, college definitely has a warm place in my heart.

Q: Everyone’s using software these days. How can young artists craft their unique sound?

A: To kids using Logic, just [mess] around! Experiment. Try [stuff]. Half the reason why "I Hate College" got popular, and "Coast 2 Coast" and "Coming Up," was that I was making mistakes mixing my records. Back then it was like oh [wow!] this looks like a [true] rocket ship. But you have to put the time in. It’s like anything you do. If you put in eight hours on Logic every couple of days, you’re going to get better, you know, day by day. And also, for people writing music, write whatever you feel.

Q: Does the Man bring you down?

A: You know it. It gets even worse when you start talking to labels and getting [artists and repertoire]. They’re trying to guide you, but at the end of the day there’s someone above them who is looking for music that they want to put on the radio. So it’s a little bit of a trap, but the cool thing about having A&Rs and a major label is when you get it right, and you agree with it, it’s awesome. But it’s rare.

Q: Soundcloud really seems to be taking the lead role in spreading music. What’s your take on the effects of social media on the music scene?

A: The great thing about social media is it allows you to listen to so much other stuff. But at the same time it’s so easy at the producer level to get caught up in looking at the iTunes charts. When I work with someone, my biggest pet peeve is when I ask, "What inspires you?" Fifteen of the songs are on the top 20. Like, go listen to other [music]!

Q: Do you have any major influences, especially outside of hip-hop? Favorite band?

A: David Bowie, Shinny Toy Guns, the Eagles, Steely Dan. Especially Sublime, you know? 

Q: To what extent has rock influenced rap and hip-hop?

A: Classic rock often comes off as the harder hip-hop beats because of the way they’re sampled. So you take a sick guitar riff from like the [Red Hot] Chili Peppers or Canned Heat. That riff sounds so rock, like if you go back and listen to old Dipset [stuff], it’s all sampled rock ‘n' roll, sampled classic rock type stuff, and then the added drums or 808s or just bass.

Q: Rule of life?

A: Don’t give a [care].

Contact copy assistant Evan McKay at evan.mckay@richmond.edu