OAs return to campus to begin training

This past week the newest crop of orientation advisors arrived to campus to complete a five-day training program to prepare for welcoming new students to Richmond.

The orientation advisors (OAs), who were selected through a highly competitive application process last semester, have been taken through a series of speakers, training exercises and bonding activities to prepare for leading their small groups of new students through the orientation process.

The OAs are being led through this training program by Kit Knapp, the chair of orientation for Westhampton College, and Mike Rotondo, the chair of orientation for Richmond College. Together they are responsible for planning orientation, selecting the associate chairs and OAs, and overseeing all of the training and orientation itself, Knapp said. 

OA training began in the spring with two preliminary training sessions and then the five-day training program, that began last Friday, immediately precedes the five days of New Student Orientation, Knapp said.

Knapp and Rotondo have been working with the Associate Dean of Richmond College Dan Fabian and the Interim Dean of Westhampton College Kerry Albright Fankhauser since September 2014 to plan OA training and orientation.

According to some of the OAs, the training has focused on the ideas of difference and diversity among the incoming students and how to successfully lead a group filled with varying personalities.

“A big stress has been placed on making all students/orientees comfortable regardless of their social class, sexual orientation, race, or any other difference that they may identify with,” said Noah Maggin, an OA currently going through training.

“I have learned a lot about diversity and how to be mindful and respectful of others’ interests,” said Gabby Putnam, another OA.

Training has also focused on group building exercises to get acclimated to the program, as well as building trust within OA pairings. Although the training varies year to year, partner training on the Challenge Discovery ropes course has remained constant, Knapp said.

Many of the current OAs were inspired by their positive orientation experiences, and are looking forward to guiding new students through the process.

“I wanted to be able to help students who are apprehensive about college like I was have a great first introduction to the university and help them feel as comfortable as possible while they adjust to college life,” said Madison Snider, a current OA. 

Once the new students arrive on August 19, the OAs will use their training to lead their small groups through a series of lectures, activities and information sessions, according to the New Spiders website, to help them get acclimated with the Richmond campus, their classmates and the community.  

“I want to be a person they confide in throughout the entire semester and beyond. I can't wait to form new bonds and build a stronger and more inclusive community,” Putnam said.

Many of the OAs are looking forward to the new students arriving on campus and showing them all that the Richmond campus has to offer. 

“I want to be able to share my love for UR with my orientees,” Maggin said.

“My favorite part about being involved with the Orientation Program each year is that it's an outlet to share how much I love my school,” Knapp said.

Contact managing editor Brooke Harty at brooke.harty@richmond.edu.