Strike a balance

How annoying is it when someone tells you that you look tired? Instead of reading that comment as an insult, use it as a reminder of the harmful effects produced by lack of sleep.

As the end of the semester approaches, and we are faced with a seemingly endless number of exams, papers and group projects to complete, our sleep habits may begin to deteriorate. Even those of us who try to get the recommended seven to nine hours per night find it difficult to maintain that schedule as we try to wrap up the semester's work.

What we sometimes fail to realize, however, is that this can have far-reaching consequences for both our academic performance and our health. When we don't get enough sleep, we accrue a "sleep debt," which must be paid, hour-for-hour, in order to return to our optimal concentration and memory ability, as well as our normal alertness levels. In fact, severely sleep-deprived people function at levels similar to those who are intoxicated.

An inconsistent sleep-wake cycle puts the mind and body into a state similar to jet-lag, so it is important to fall asleep and wake up at similar times each day. Further, sleep deprivation can affect mood by causing the body to produce higher levels of stress hormones.

One of the lesser known effects of sleep deprivation is weight gain. Not getting enough sleep slows down your metabolism while increasing your appetite. Sleep loss further causes you to crave foods high in carbohydrates and sugars, which reduce insulin sensitivity.

This week, we challenge you to regulate your sleep-wake schedule by going to bed and waking up at consistent times each day.