Richmond's 11-game win streak snapped by George Mason

The University of Richmond baseball team gave up eight runs in the final two innings to lose, 12-10, to George Mason University on Tuesday, ending its 11-game winning streak.

Pitcher Andrew Blum was able to overcome a shaky start to give the Spiders five strong innings. The sophomore hit a batter, walked the next and then gave up an RBI single in the first inning before settling down and striking out the next two hitters. Blum didn't give up another run until the fifth inning.

When he left the game, the Spiders held a 9-4 lead. Ray Harron was brought in to relieve Blum and had success in his first two innings before surrendering five runs. Andrew Brockett came in to close out a 10-9 win in the ninth, but he gave up a three-run home run instead, giving George Mason a 12-10 lead.

While a tough loss, Richmond coach Mark McQueen said he had not been worried about it.

"I can't say anything bad about the offense," he said. "The offense battled all day long and did a great job of getting runs and extending the lead."

Richmond senior outfielder Phil Ruzbarsky said: "We hit the ball well for the majority of the game. I feel like the last two or three innings, we put up zeros, and we got a little complacent with that 10-4 lead when we should've kept adding on.

"It's easy to get up by six or seven runs and just pack it in and think you've got enough, but the truth is you can never have enough runs. ...One game doesn't make or break your team. We've still got a great run going here, and everyone's still feeling really good about themselves."

McQueen said: "I can't fault the guys' effort. I thought they gave tremendous effort today, and I know they're disappointed, but it's just one game out of 55, and I think we'll bounce back after this."

The loss was the first for the Spiders since an extra-innings loss to Niagara University, 11-10, on Feb. 25. The team is now 11-4 and looks to get back on track this weekend in a three-game series at Pitt Field against Princeton University.

"They're going to be a quality ball club," Ruzbarsky said. "They always have great arms, so we're looking for some upper-level pitching from them."

McQueen said: "It's going to be a battle. It's going to be a good test for us this weekend."

Contact reporter Matt Dunn at matt.dunn@richmond.edu