Airlines merge, affect Spring Break flights and plans

American Airlines and US Airways officially announced their plans to merge last week in an $11 billion deal that will effectively create the world's largest airline company.

The new airline will take the name of American Airlines and will be run by US Airways CEO Doug Parker, according to CBS News.

According to CBS, the merger still has to be approved by federal regulators but that is "not expected to be a major hurdle."

With Spring Break starting this weekend, many University of Richmond students will be flying to various destinations throughout the next week. Freshman Abby Huth, who will be flying on US Airways for Spring Break, said she was aware of the merger but that it did not affect her choice of airline.

The merging of the two airlines could result in confusion in coming years, with more lost luggage, delays and problems with reservations, according to CBS.

Richmond students could see changes in their Spring Break flights and may have to consider this possible confusion as the merger takes shape.

Junior Aquene Kenerson, who is flying to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, on US Airways for Spring Break, said she chose her flight based on the price, her airline preference and time convenience.

According to CBS, the new American Airlines will run on about 95,000 employees, 3,200 daily flights and more than 900 planes. In the next few years, the merger could lead to competition between airlines, benefitting customers and resulting in lower fares.

Senior Kelsey Guttormsen, a finance major, said she thought the merger would increase competition but was not likely to drive up prices. "The new airline will not have enough pricing power to raise prices without losing customers to other airlines," she said.

Contact reporter Molly McGrath at molly.mcgrath@richmond.edu