Richmond soccer falls to Duquense on senior night

Spider soccer (5-8-2) fell to Duquesne (5-8-2), 2-0, on Richmond's senior night despite outshooting the Dukes 16-11. The loss puts the Spiders at 2-3 in the Atlantic 10 whereas Duquesne earned its first conference win Friday night.

Richmond head coach Peter Albright was impressed with how both Duquesne and Richmond played, but thought the Spiders lost because of their inability to create threatening chances, he said.

"We did everything we could," Albright said. "We are just a little thin right now and we weren't able to create enough good chances."

In the first 20 minutes, both teams created several opportunities that nearly resulted in goals. Albright was pleased with how his team played in the opening minutes of the game, he said.

Richmond's three starting forwards, Shannon Colligan, Ashley Riefner and Jensen Smith, led Richmond's attack. Riefner created one of the Spiders' best scoring opportunities four minutes into the game when her cross found a wide-open Colligan, whose header went straight at Duquesne's keeper.

"[Riefner] had a beautiful cross going back-post," Colligan said. "I think I just mistimed it to get a little less power than I wanted to."

Duquesne took a 1-0 lead in the 23rd minute when Stephanie Colon intercepted a pass in Richmond's defensive third. Colon then carried the ball with speed at Richmond's defenders and played a ball on Maggie Mayo's foot inside the box. Mayo placed a one-time finish in the bottom left corner.

Albright credited Duquesne for scoring a good goal, but said it was Richmond's fault for giving the Dukes that opportunity.

"It was a mistake in a part of the field where you can't make mistakes centrally like that," he said.

Richmond responded emotionally well to the goal, Albright said, but the Dukes took a 1-0 lead into the half.

Richmond had the ball in the Dukes' half for much of the second half, but could not find an equalizer.

"We had good looks, good possession, good movement and good combinations going forward," Colligan said. "I think it was just that last pass or getting the shot off that was lacking."

The Dukes sealed the victory when Maddie Layman finished a cross from Emma Coccia with 40 seconds remaining.

Before the game, Richmond recognized the team's five seniors - Crystal Koczot, Erin Layne, Kristen Lybert, Jensen Smith and Becca Wann - for their contributions to Richmond soccer. If healthy, all five players would be starters for the Spiders, Albright said.

"They've just been an absolute blessing," Albright said of the seniors. "They are very good players, but they are just terrific people and role models."

Richmond played its final home game of the season at 1 p.m. Sunday against Massachusetts.

Contact staff writer Jack Nicholson at jack.nicholson@richmond.edu

Follow him on twitter at @URJackNicholson