Temporary Lincoln exhibit lacks student visitors

A traveling historical exhibit at University of Richmond Downtown has not been as popular as its organizers had hoped, but the events surrounding it have thrived.

The exhibit, "Lincoln: The Constitution and the Civil War," is a set of large panels that display information and photographs of original documents, such as Civil War-era letters and a draft of Lincoln's first inaugural speech. It is sponsored by the American Library Association and travels among libraries and universities, staying with each host for about six weeks.

Richmond was selected to be a host site in 2001 but did not receive the exhibit until this fall.

"We're very excited and thrilled to be able to offer it to the public," said Shannon Best, coordinator of community programs for the Jepson School of Leadership Studies.

Kimberly Dean, program director for UR Downtown, said more than 350 people had viewed the exhibit in October. But these were mostly university employees and visitors who were not affiliated with the university. "There have not been a ton of student visitors," she said.

Dean also said that no class groups from Richmond had viewed the exhibit for field trips.

Aadil Adatia, a first-year student who works at UR Downtown, said he had also noticed a lack of student visitors to the exhibit.

"Not many people come down here," he said, referring to the multi-purpose room in the basement of UR Downtown, where the Lincoln panels are housed.

The largest group of students to visit the exhibit comprised approximately 10 members of the AP government class from James River High School, whose teacher offered extra credit for anyone who went.

But the events related to the Lincoln exhibit have drawn larger crowds. President Ed Ayers gave an opening lecture Oct. 9 at the Library of Virginia. The Oct. 24 lunchtime panel discussion titled "Lincoln in Richmond: 1865 to 2011" featured historical and Constitutional experts, such as Mike Gorman, who was an on-set consultant for the 2012 movie "Lincoln." Best said the panel had attracted such an audience that it had become "standing room-only."

The final event will be a lecture at the Library of Virginia by Christy Coleman, president of the American Civil War Center. The lecture will be at 5:30 p.m. on Nov. 13. The Lincoln exhibit at UR Downtown will be open Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 3 to 5 p.m.

"It's a great exhibit. It's something to take advantage of," Best said. "We'd love to have students join us."

Contact staff writer Catherine Sinclair at catherine.sinclair@richmond.edu