Richmond faces challenge on big stage in NIT quarterfinal

<p>Kendall Anthony will be crucial to Richmond's success against Miami. He will face two talented guards for the Hurricanes, Sheldon McClellan and Angel Rodriguez. </p>

Kendall Anthony will be crucial to Richmond's success against Miami. He will face two talented guards for the Hurricanes, Sheldon McClellan and Angel Rodriguez. 

After defeating Arizona State in a tightly contested overtime game on Sunday night, the Spiders will host the Miami Hurricanes in the NIT quarterfinals. Both teams are riding hot streaks, and a spot in the NIT Final Four is on the line.

Here are a few keys to the game, which will be broadcast on ESPN:

Richmond's rebounding woes

The Spiders are not a short team by any means, but they have struggled to rebound all season. On Sunday against Arizona State, they allowed 15 offensive rebounds, and grabbed only two themselves. Miami averages five more rebounds per game than Richmond, and the Hurricanes are led by 7-footer Tonye Jekiri, who averages more than 10 rebounds.

Richmond coach Chris Mooney noted after Sunday's win that his team doesn't lack effort when rebounding, but it has struggled nonetheless. If Richmond allows the Hurricanes the same amount of second chances that ASU had, the Spiders are in trouble.

Guard play

Tuesday's game will feature a battle of four impressive scoring guards. Kendall Anthony is the Spiders' leader and best player, averaging 16.6 points per game. On Sunday, he proved once again that he thrives in big moments when he made a four-point play with less than two minutes left in overtime. His scoring prowess will be contested by Sheldon McClellan, Miami's bonafide guard who shoots an impressive 49.4 percent.

The other matchup will be between ShawnDre' Jones and Angel Rodriguez. Both guards are under 6-feet tall, but have a proven ability to score and distribute the ball to their teammates. Rodriguez has played in this role longer than Jones has, but Jones has played well recently and has been a spark for the Spiders. It's also worth noting that Jones was the Atlantic 10 sixth man of the year.

Home-court advantage

The Spiders are fortunate for being awarded the top seed in the NIT. Not that they didn't deserve it -- they nearly earned an NCAA berth, and have proven that they are one of the best teams in the NIT field. But it's hard to believe that Richmond would've escaped in overtime against Arizona State had the game been away from the Robins Center. The crowd was active on Sunday night, and it seemed that the players were feeding off of that energy.

Even before the NIT, Richmond was much better at home than on the road. The Spiders are 16-3 at home this season, and 5-10 away from the Robins Center.

The Hurricanes seem to have no problem leaving their home floor, though. In January, they traveled to Cameron Indoor Stadium and beat Duke by 16 points. They also won at Syracuse. Don't expect the Hurricanes to be intimidated by the Robins Center crowd.

Expect a close game from two teams with plenty of momentum. The Robins Center crowd will be undoubtedly helpful for the Spiders, but there's something to be said for a 10-8 record in this year's ACC. Sorry Spider fans, but Miami will probably steal this win and a spot in the NIT Final Four. 

Contact Sports Editor Charlie Broaddus at charlie.broaddus@richmond.edu