Nelson-Ododa will transfer from Richmond

Richmond forward Alonzo Nelson-Ododa has been granted a release to transfer and will spend his final season of eligibility playing for a different school, according to a press release by Richmond Athletics. 

Richmond coach Chris Mooney said in the press release that he was proud of Nelson-Ododa and wished him the best. He averaged 6.6 points and 5.1 rebounds during his junior season, but missed eight games late in the season because of an eye injury. 

Nelson-Ododa will graduate from the University of Richmond this month, making him eligible to play immediately at whichever school he chooses to play for next season. It is unclear where he will play next season and why he is choosing to leave Richmond. 

With Nelson-Ododa's departure, the Spiders are losing a bonafide shot-blocker who was a better defensive player than he was an offensive player. He frequently replaced fellow Spider forward TJ Cline during late-game defensive situations, because Cline's forte is offense. 

Nelson-Ododa becomes the third player to decide to transfer from Richmond, after Chandler Diekvoss and Kadeem Smithen decided to do the same in March. The Spiders will also be without Kendall Anthony, the team's senior leader last season, and Zach Chu next season because both players are graduating. 

This story will be updated if more information becomes available regarding Nelson-Ododa's reasons for transfer and destination for next season. 

Contact Sports Editor Charlie Broaddus at charlie.broaddus@richmond.edu