Timely Warning emails, explained in 6 questions

Why do we get timely warning emails?

Timely warnings are required by federal law under the 1990 Jeanne Clery Act. The act requires all colleges and universities that receive federal funding to inform students of crime on and around campus.

What is the Clery Act?

Jeanne Clery was a 19-year-old Lehigh University student when she was raped and murdered in her dorm room in 1986. Following the tragedy, Clery's parents pushed for campus safety legislation, which resulted in the Clery Act. In addition to requiring public crime data, the act provides support for victims of sexual violence.

What criteria does a crime have to meet to result in a timely warning?

Any crime on or around campus that poses an ongoing threat warrants a timely warning. This includes, but is not limited to, burglaries and sexual assaults, which are the most commonly issued timely warnings. Other examples include murder, motor vehicle theft and arson. The campus police chief determines whether or not a timely warning should be released.

Do all crimes result in timely warning emails?

No. Crimes that are quickly resolved do not result in timely warnings, because they do not pose an ongoing threat. Off-campus crimes that do not affect the safety of Richmond students do not result in timely warnings either.

Why are some of the emails so vague?

The campus police include as much information as they have when they issue timely warnings. There is a balancing act between gathering information about a crime and releasing a warning in a speedy manner.

How timely is "timely"?

Timely warnings are issued after crimes are reported to the campus police. If the police chief decides that there is a continuing threat to the campus community, then an email will be sent out.

Note: All information was obtained from the Clery Center's website or Campus Police Chief David McCoy. 

Contact features assistant Kayla Solsbak at kayla.solsbak@richmond.edu