Wednesday, May 01, 2024

In the Know: Small business fair on the Forum, UR Wind Ensemble to perform

In The Know is a weekly brief that highlights events and happenings around the University of Richmond

I Am Richmond Festival

The Diversity Roundtable is hosting the I Am Richmond Festival, formerly known as Richmond Goes Global, at 1 p.m. Saturday, April 9 in the Carole Weinstein International Commons.

The festival will showcase performances by Embody, Ngoma, Asian Echo, Bloc Crew, Japanese Culture Club and Rocio Posada.

The event is free, with food provided.

Small Business Fair in the Forum

Representatives of small businesses from the city of Richmond will be accessible on the Forum in an exhibition-style event at 12 p.m. Sunday, April 10.

Students will be able to browse and purchase items from a variety of businesses, including It’s Letter Perfect, Penwheels and Soul Ice, which is also giving out free ices to its first 50 guests.

UR Wind Ensemble Performance

The UR Wind Ensemble is presenting its annual Spring Concert at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 7 in Camp Concert Hall.

The concert will feature Rebecca Quillen, student clarinetist and soloist, and works by composers Percy Grainger, John Phillip Sousa and Timothy Mahr.

The event is free and open to the public, with no tickets required.

CCE Brown Bag Discussion

This week’s CCE Brown Bag discussion is on "Understanding the Opioid Epidemic in Virginia." Several people will be leading the discussion, including Shannon Taylor, Henrico County commonwealth's attorney, and JoAnn Wells, injury prevention outreach coordinator of Virginia Department of Health.

The discussion is taking place on Friday, April 8, at 12:30 p.m in Room 305 Tyler Haynes Commons. Free pizza will be provided to those in attendance.

Barcelona novelist Jordi Corca leads discussion on Catalonia

Jordi Corca, an award-winning author with experience in Catalan cultural politics, will speak at Richmond on Wednesday, April 6, in Room 120 of Jepson School of Leadership Studies to participate in a discussion on the future of Catalonia. The event will take place at 5 p.m.

The Spanish-language event, hosted by the Department of Latin American, Latino & Iberian Studies, will focus on the challenges Catalonia faces in trying to achieve recognition as a new European state as well as its unique cultural identity.

Contact news writer Kay Dervishi at kay.dervishi@richmond.edu