Newly elected RCSGA freshmen plan to address issues related to sexual assault

After an error in the ballot on Tuesday, the RCSGA held elections for the Class of 2020 on Wednesday. 

Mir Sultan will assume the role of class chair, and Alex Kiiru, Ben Weinstein, Hassan Naveed Bhatti, Robert Ostrom, Liam McGrinder, Aquila Maliyekkal and Aaqil Zakarya will serve as senators.

Since the ballot was rescheduled, what was intended to be a one-day campaign turned into a hectic two-day affair. Despite the elongated campaigns, the winners seemed glad and humbled that they had been elected.

"I feel good," Sultan said, beaming. "I'm a sociable, outgoing guy. I'm easy to talk to and that makes for one of the best leaders possible because you can go around, one-by-one and listen to people's problems."

Kiiru seeks to bridge divides he has seen in his first weeks on campus. 

"The students and the administration are very, very far from each other," Kiiru said. "I think that if we harness the relationship between the administration and the students, we would have a better campus compared to what we have now."

Ostrom echoed the sentiment, and specifically referenced sexual assault at Richmond.

"If possible, I want to do everything I can to make Richmond a safer place again," Ostram said. 

Contact reporter Krishna Lohiya at krishna.lohiya@richmond.edu