President Crutcher announces potential Strategic Plan goals and initiatives

<p>Ronald Crutcher speaking with a member of the Richmond community last fall.&nbsp;</p>

Ronald Crutcher speaking with a member of the Richmond community last fall. 

President Ronald Crutcher sent an email to the university community Thursday stating that the first draft of the University Strategic Plan’s goals and initiatives had been released. 

The draft details the goals and initiatives it hopes to accomplish next year. This plan has been worked on since the spring 2015 semester, and is still in progress.

“More than 80 faculty, staff, and students have been engaged since the spring in Working Groups organized around the themes of Academic Excellence, Intellectual Community, Access and Affordability, and a Thriving and Inclusive Community,” Crutcher wrote in the email.

There were 11 goals posted on the Strategic Plan website that the Working Groups wish to achieve. Among these were goals that encouraged student-and-faculty interaction, an increase in student cultural and socioeconomic diversity and an encouragement of student interaction with the community and more creative outlets. Among these initiatives was one to offer an alternative to Greek life as a social outlet and one to offer the potential to eliminate student loans for families with incomes below $125,000.

The initiatives to make these goals happen are tentative. The email encourages students to consider them and let the university know which ones they feel will work best for them, or to suggest other initiatives that students feel might be more effective.

“As you can imagine, implementing all of these initiatives is not possible,” Crutcher wrote. “Please keep in mind that our best ideas for initiatives may yet to be imagined."

Students can give feedback on the initiatives in two ways. On the Strategic Plan website, at the bottom of the page, there is a feedback form that students can fill out and submit. Students can also attend a conversation with President Crutcher and others on the Strategic Plan committee. This meeting is open to all students and will be held on Nov. 16 from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Queally Center Pavilion.

After the committee has received feedback, its next step will be to create a full first draft of the Strategic Plan. This draft will be released in February.

Contact reporter Julia Raimondi at julia.raimondi@richmond.edu