Heroes, heart surgeons and Gossip Girls return to primetime

The Olympics are finished and you're feeling lost in a sea of "Lifetime" movies and reality TV. It's time to stop watching "Brooke Knows Best" and get ready for the official fall TV season to begin. Here is a preview of returning favorites and promising premieres:

Spotted -- "Gossip Girl" returns to the CW on Monday, Sept. 1 at 8 p.m. with a high dosage of drama. Dying to know whether "S" and "N" rekindled their romance while summering in the Hamptons? I wouldn't say "goodbye" to Dan Humphrey just yet.

If preppy socialites in Manhattan aren't exactly your idea of entertainment, Monday Night Football begins Sept. 8 with Minnesota at Green Bay at 7 p.m. and Denver at Oakland at 10:15 p.m. on ESPN.

"Heroes" returns to NBC for a third season on Monday, Sept. 22 with a two-hour premiere. While season two left "Heroes" fans underwhelmed, the new season, entitled "Villains," promises viewers more action and excitement with added adventure and superpowers.

"Grey's Anatomy" -- McDreamy and McSteamy return to ABC for a fifth season of "Grey's Anatomy," set to premiere on Thursday, Sept. 25 in its regular 9 p.m. time slot. Will Meredith and Derek finally make things work? Is there any truth behind the rumor that Izzie will have a brain tumor? And what about the Callie/Erica romance? Tune in to tie up the loose ends.

"Grey's Anatomy" faces competition as it battles "The Office" in the same 9 p.m. time slot on NBC. After the show was cut short in its fourth season because of the writer's strike, the one-hour premiere on Sept. 25 is eagerly anticipated. The first episode will recount what Dunder-Mifflin employees did during the summer. Fans can look forward to 28 episodes of Michael Scott madness this season.

Unfortunately, not all of our favorite shows are returning quite yet. "Lost" fans will have to wait until January before their Thursday nights are complete again.

Has the writer's strike caused some of your favorite shows to be canceled? Never fear, new shows are here.

"Fringe" -- Addicted to "Lost," but can't wait five months for its return? Tide yourself over with this sci-fi mystery premiering on Tuesday, Sept. 9 on FOX. "Fringe" stars Joshua Jackson (Pacey has finally returned to the small screen) in a show about a mysterious plane ride that leaves all the passengers dead. From the creator of "Lost," this new thriller is set to mystify viewers.

"90210" -- Say goodbye to SoapNet reruns and get ready to welcome a new 90210, premiering Tuesday, Sept. 2 on the CW at 8 p.m. This much-anticipated remake will merge a brand new cast with "90210" veterans like Jennie Garth and Shannon Doherty. Just in case the scandalous lives of the rich and famous aren't enough to keep you captivated, perhaps the rumored appearance of bad-boy Dylan, played by Luke Perry, will keep you tuned in.

"Sons of Anarchy" -- Ever wondered what it would be like to be a member of an outlawed motorcycle club? "Sons of Anarchy" is for you. Premiering on Wednesday, Sept. 3 at 10 p.m. on FX, this dark drama looks to be different and edgy. "The Sopranos" meets Harley-Davidson.

Contact reporter Brittany Combs at brittany.combs@richmond.edu