Opening day tuition giveaway

Free tuition anyone ... anyone? The Richmond Rowdies will be giving away one semester of free tuition as part of a pep rally during the opening day of basketball season in November.

Matthew Dreyfuss said at the Richmond College Student Government Association meeting that during opening day there would be a rally featuring a slam-dunk contest, a lay-up contest and a raffle that will give students a chance to win a complimentary semester at Richmond if they make a half-court shot. The money will come from insurance, Dreyfuss said.

"We paid the money up front," he said. "If the student makes it then the insurance covers the rest. If they don't make it we lose the money.

"This is going to happen, and I'm pretty sure we can get a large commemorative check for the event as well."

Russell Gong discussed a meeting he had with Steve Bisese, vice president for student development, when the subject turned to poor cell-phone reception on campus.

"The problem is that we live in a bowl," Gong said, "so service is going to be bad just because of the topography here on campus."

Gong said that one option would be to build a 145-foot cell tower that would pick up and amplify cellular signals from multiple carriers. Gong said that the idea was unpopular with some senior faculty members who worried a cell tower would be an eyesore.

AT&T already has a cell tower on top of Booker Hall. Gong said that Bisese encouraged students to use landlines in case of on-campus emergencies.

"He told me that if the student government is concerned with safety, then his office would pay for phones for every room."

Michael Murray said RCSGA would set up a table in the Tyler Haynes Commons next week to coincide with the release of the strategic plan. He discussed creating a flyer with the five major points of the plan to hand out to students. He said he wanted to work closely with the students and student organizations to inject the student voice into the first draft of the strategic plan.

Contact staff writer David Larter at david.larter@richmond.edu