WCGA: Plans for October events commence

During this week's Westhampton College Student Government meeting, held in the Alice Haynes Room, a motion was passed unanimously to donate $489 to Trick-or-Treat Street on behalf of WCGA.

Trick-or-Treat Street, a fall festival for children in the Richmond community, will take place Oct. 18 at Fraternity Row. Money raised from this year's event is being donated to Cole Haker, a child needing a liver transplant.

Meg Cardell, WCGA treasurer, relayed a funding request from the Richmond College Dean's office staff asking the members of WCGA to help continue their initiative to supply free printing in Gray Court and Lakeview residence halls. A vote will be taken next week to decide whether WCGA will help to fund the paper supply for the two dorms.

Yasmin Wazir, WCGA class of 2009 president, announced the Halloween Senior Social will be on Oct. 30, from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. A contract will be signed with Element Lounge in downtown Richmond.

Additionally, Caroline Faughnan, WCGA class of 2010 president, encouraged everyone to collect pop tops for the Ronald McDonald House. Bags will be placed in laundry rooms across campus to collect the soda can tops. Faughnan also announced that the Ring Dance Forum will be Nov. 11 in Keller Hall Reception Room at 8 p.m.

Elle Carabetta, class of 2010 senator, announced the schedule for this year's Homecoming week. The dining hall tailgate dinner will be Oct. 21. Wing Night at Buffalo Wild Wings will be on Oct. 22, with 500 free wings provided by the athletic department. There will be a spirit event in the Forum on Oct. 24, and the homecoming game against Georgetown is Oct. 25.

Student concerns about the animal control issue in Lakeview residence hall were voiced by Caroline Vincent. Numerous instances of animal sightings, from lizards to snakes to possums, have been reported by women living in Lakeview. Angie Harris, associate dean for residence life, assured WCGA that all potential access points have been sealed and all animals have been caught.

Directly following the WCGA meeting, a joint meeting was held between WCGA and the Richmond College Student Government Association during which members were presented with a first look at the renovations being planned for the Tyler Haynes Commons by Steve Bisese, vice president of student development; Andrew McBride, the campus architect; and his team of designers. Renderings of the renovations will be on display in the Commons soon.

Contact reporter Brittany Combs at brittany.combs@richmond.edu