Letter from the Editor

Dear Readers,

Welcome to a new year!

Transition is over, and I now face the daunting task of filling Megan Wilson's shoes as the editor-in-chief of The Collegian for the 2009-2010 year. When I started as a staff photographer two years ago, there's no way I could have envisioned that I would get this job, but I am looking forward to the challenge.

The changes this newspaper has undergone during this past year still astound me, and I'm excited to continue those accomplishments with the new staff. Our staff has expanded greatly because of the Web site created last fall, www.thecollegianur.com. It is updated daily and allows us to bring you even more news about campus life.

The Collegian offers something for everyone, whether it's breaking news, restaurant reviews or sports scores. If you or your friends are doing something newsworthy, let us know. If it's an opinion you want to share, remember that this section is an open forum, and I encourage you to let your voice be heard.

If you have something to say specifically to me, you may e-mail me at barrett.neale@richmond.edu. Please keep letters to the editor to no more than 500 words. Send other submissions - 500 to 600 words - to collegianstories@richmond.edu by 5 p.m. on Sunday.

Everyone on this staff seems excited about their positions, and I could not be more proud to be working with them. We're going to focus on getting the basics down during these last four weeks, but there is even more we're trying to bring you in the fall (including lots of submissions from staff members going abroad!).

I would also like to thank the people leaving staff. I'm going to miss them all greatly, not only because they helped The Collegian become what it is now, but because in doing so, they've become my friends.

To the seniors (and Michael Rogers): Thanks for all your help and good luck with your life after The Collegian! I hope you enjoy many an early Wednesday night bedtime, but please come visit every once in a while.

Now, we move forward to a new year. Some of our names may be familiar to you already, but we're joined by new members who can help us achieve even more, and that's what excites me the most.

I know this staff is capable of great things, and it always helps to have your input. Contact stephanie.rice@richmond.edu for questions about the news section, mariaelisaribas@richmond.edu for features, maura.bogue@richmond.edu for opinion and reilly.moore@richmond.edu for sports. All questions about the Web site should go to nick.mider@richmond.edu.

Lastly, do not hesitate to e-mail me. We have a lot to cover and we welcome your questions, comments and concerns. Please keep reading on Thursdays in print and daily on thecollegianur.com. Thanks!

Barrett Neale