Kocher to be next university chaplain

The Rev. Craig T. Kocher, director of religious life at Duke University, has been appointed the University of Richmond's third official chaplain.

Kocher replaces acting chaplain Kate O'Dwyer Randall, who took over when the Rev. Daphne Burt left abruptly at the end of the fall 2006 semester. O'Dwyer Randall will stay with the chaplaincy as associate chaplain, according to a university news release.

Kocher was a finalist for the position along with the Rev. Linda Morgan-Clement of the College of Wooster in Ohio. His position starts Aug. 17.

In a telephone interview on Monday, Kocher said he was thrilled and excited when he accepted President Edward Ayers' offer on Friday. He spent the weekend planning how to tell close colleagues at Duke University that he was leaving while making plans for coming to Richmond.

"The chaplaincy at Richmond fits my passions and desires," he said.

President Edward Ayers wrote in an e-mail to faculty, staff and students that Kocher's goals aligned well with those of the Richmond Promise, which includes five points: promises for increased diversity, access and affordability, engagement with the City of Richmond and unity among the separate schools. By carrying out these goals, the plan's final stated objective is to offer a "distinctive experience" to students.

"His work at Duke provides him with a valuable perspective of living in and leading a diverse and inclusive faith community," Ayers wrote. "His warm personal qualities and commitments make him a great match for the Richmond community."

Ayers also noted that he was grateful for the community's broad involvement in the search process.

"It has been encouraging to see how much the work of the chaplaincy is valued and how ambitious we all are for its future," he wrote.

During the summer, Kocher visited Richmond several times and realized he was ready for another challenge. Kocher spent six years working at Duke Chapel as assistant dean and then associate dean of the chapel and the director of religious life.

Kocher said one of his first actions would be to walk around campus to gauge it and allow himself to begin considering it home. He said he planned to have an open door policy early in his tenure to get to know everyone, while meeting with as many people as possible.

He's also going to be doing a lot of careful listening, he said.

Kocher said he spoke with O'Dwyer Randall Monday morning, saying that he deeply admired what she had already done for the chaplaincy and for Richmond.

"I want Kate to be able to use her gifts," Kocher said. "What that looks like, I don't know yet."

Kocher said he would evaluate the chaplaincy later during his tenure to understand what parts were effective, with an aim to build on those strengths.

"It will be a process of learning, a process of evaluation and a process of listening," he said, "and trying to chart a course into the future."

____________

Dan Petty reported from Denver and Stephanie Rice from San Diego.

Contact reporter Dan Petty at dan.petty@richmond.edu and staff writer Stephanie Rice at stephanie.rice@richmond.edu.