Sidbury signs first professional contract with Falcons

Former University of Richmond defensive end Lawrence Sidbury Jr. has signed his first professional football contract with the Atlanta Falcons.

Sidbury's deal, announced on Friday, is for four years, but financial terms were not disclosed. While he did not reveal the details of the contract, Sidbury said that "the people representing me did a good job."

Sidbury said he was more focused on getting ready for training camp -- which begins Aug. 1 at Flowery Branch, Ga. -- than working on his contract. Getting the contract done before the start of camp was "really important," he said.

"I'm focused on going to camp," Sidbury said.

Sidbury was chosen by the Falcons during the 4th round -- pick No. 125 -- of the 2009 NFL Draft. He was the fourth player to be selected by the Falcons, who were eliminated in last year's National Football Conference wild card game versus former Richmond running back Tim Hightower and the Arizona Cardinals.

Before the draft, Sidbury was projected to be a late second- to early third-round pick by many media outlets, but fell into the fourth round.

Sidbury was a key part of the Spiders' defense. He finished last year with 11.5 sacks and had four sacks during the FCS Championship Game against Montana, finishing his collegiate career with 20.5, good for fourth all-time in program history.

Atlanta has Pro-Bowl caliber defensive end John Abraham -- a player that Sidbury called "one of his favorites" -- on one side of the defensive line, and 2007 first-round pick Jamaal Anderson, who started 15 games last season on the other side of the line. Sidbury could see time in pass-rushing situations early during his career.

At the Falcons' Organized Team Activities, Abraham was in attendance along with Sidbury. There, Sidbury was able to get some advice from one of the best defensive ends in the NFL.

"He gave some tips on what to do," Sidbury said. "The most important thing is to master the small things. The small things make the difference between average and good players."

Richmond has had three players drafted during the past two years. In 2008, the Oakland Raiders selected wide receiver Arman Shields, also with pick no. 125, and the Arizona Cardinals selected Hightower during the fifth round.

____________

Contact staff writer Andrew Prezioso at andrew.prezioso@richmond.edu

This version of the story ADDS quotes from Sidbury.