Tuesday, May 07, 2024

Azerbaijani court refuses to admit video evidence in Hajizada, Milli trial

Adnan Hajizada's lawyer told reporters yesterday that video from the restaurant where Hajizada and fellow activist Emin Milli were in a fight will not be allowed at their trial Sept. 16.

Hajizada and Milli were in a fight in Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan, on July 8. They were arrested for hooliganism, with a charge of causing bodily injury added later, after the incident was reported to the police. Supporters of the activists said they were arrested for speaking out against the government and have been denied basic rights, such as being able to see their families and receive proper medical treatment.

The government released a statement that said Hajizada and Milli's case was normal hooliganism.

Isakhan Ashurov, Hajizada's lawyer, also said that the judge rejected a motion to allow a copy of telephone conversations from the Azercell Mobile Operator of before and after the fight to be heard at the trial.

The trial was scheduled for 4 p.m., Azerbaijani time, according to the Turan Information Agency. The motions were heard Sept. 4.

This story will be updated.

Contact staff writer Stephanie Rice at stephanie.rice@richmond.edu