Letter: Long Walk

When a person is released from prison, his or her quest for true freedom has only just begun. Although physical bars no longer surround them, ex-offenders must overcome the challenge of reconnecting with themselves, friends, family and society.

The walk is long, arduous and impossible to complete in solitude, because societal structures often prevent ex-offenders from resurrecting their lives before prison, no matter how intense their desire is to reform and to redeem themselves.

In the Highland Park neighborhood of Richmond, Boaz & Ruth strives to assist ex-offenders through transitional job training. Since starting its mission in 2002, Boaz & Ruth has seen a mere 12 percent re-incarceration rate among its 42 graduates and a 37 percent reduction of crime in the surrounding community.

This Saturday, Boaz & Ruth is holding its third annual Long Walk to Freedom, which is meant to symbolize the journey that ex-offenders must embark upon after they are released from prison. The walk begins at the Richmond City Jail and winds its way through the streets of Richmond.

In the past, Boaz & Ruth has always held the Long Walk while Richmond students are on Fall Break. This year, the event will take place on Saturday, Sept. 26. The Richmond community has supported the Long Walk with great enthusiasm in previous years, and now, Richmond students, staff and faculty have an opportunity to join that community.

A $15 registration donation will support the solution provider of your choice and includes a Long Walk to Freedom T-shirt. Registration is available online and additional information is available at www.LongWalktoFreedom.org.

Registration will begin at 7:30 a.m., and the opening ceremony will begin at 8 a.m. with special guest speakers, including elected officials. The walk will end at the Conrad Center (1400 Oliver Hill Way), located across the street from the Richmond City Jail.

"Freedom is not a place, but a journey best taken in the company of others." - Nelson Mandela

By standing with participants or donating to their cause, you show that you are their ally. Show your support by coming to the Richmond City Jail (1701 Fairfield Way) this Saturday and participating in the Long Walk to Freedom.

Stephanie Granderson, WC '12

Geoff Weathersby RC '12

Jimmy Young, RC '11

Kiara Lee, WC '12

Bonner Scholars Program