The University of Richmond field hockey team defeated La Salle University 4-0 behind a pair of goals by senior Sarah Blythe-Wood.

Blythe-Wood's two goals raised her season total to 16, which is tops in the Atlantic-10 Conference.

Sophomore Katelin Peterson and junior Dani Pycroft added the other two goals for the Spiders. Senior Jess Weidner recorded a pair of assists.

The Spiders out-shot La Salle 22-4 while improving their record to 7-7 and 2-0 in A-10 play.

After the game, Blythe-Wood was pleased with the team's performance.

"It was a great day and we came out full of energy," she said. "We got a lot of momentum early in the first half, but then fell back going into halftime. Then we came back out after the half and took the momentum right back".

Blythe-Wood hopes the team can carry this momentum further.

"[The team] wants to keep working on the little things, and make [its] way through the A-10 tournament," she said.

One of those little things that the team targeted against La Salle was execution of corner attempts.

"We made [corners] a point of emphasis in practice," coach Gina Lucido said.

It's crucial for each player to execute in order to capitalize off a corner, and this renewed focus led to both of Blythe-Wood's goals, she said. Lucido was pleased with her defense's dominant performance against La Salle. The 4-0 shutout was Richmond's fourth of the year.

"Great D wins championships," she said, "and the number one focus of the staff is to play great D from the midfielders through the backs".

The Spiders play next against West Chester University at noon on Sunday.

Contact reporter Matt McMaster at matt.mcmaster@richmond.edu