Richmond earns B grade for sustainability initiatives

Despite the changing seasons, there's been much recognition for all the green on campus.

Recently the 2010 evaluation by the College Sustainability Report Card, an initiative of the Sustainable Endowments Institute, released grades for colleges based on a number of comparative aspects, each focused on the institute's sustainability. Overall, the University of Richmond was awarded a B grade.

Grades were based on categories such as administration, climate change, energy, food and recycling, and student involvement.

"Each year the university has improved in this report," explained Richard McDonald, the University's sustainability coordinator.

Compared with other schools in Virginia, Richmond tied with the College of William & Mary and led others, such as the University of Virginia, which received a B-, and Washington and Lee University, which received a C+.

Richmond was the only school to receive an A in the Green Building category of the report card, which assesses the school's practices in building and maintaining campus infrastructure.

"All future projects will be certified LEED Silver," McDonald said.

LEED stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, a rating system established by the U.S. Green Building Council. Points are distributed for using efficient design methods in buildings. There are four levels in LEED certification: basic, silver, gold and platinum.

This evaluation highlights this new policy at Richmond. Besides Weinstein Hall, which is the only building the report indicates as LEED certified, there is also the Heilman Dining Center. McDonald said certification took about one-and-a-half to two months. He said that other buildings would be submitted for certification, such as Lakeview Hall and the Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness.

Even older buildings that have been remodeled feature green improvements, such as Freeman Hall and Tyler Haynes Commons.

"Ceiling materials are highly recyclable," McDonald said in reference to the Commons.

Minor improvements, such as occupancy sensors, help conserve lighting on various campus buildings. Paints free of VOC (volatile organic compounds) and carpets lower levels of atmospheric pollutants that contribute to global warming.

McDonald spoke of a new Climate Action Plan on campus as a comprehensive strategy for Richmond to become climate-neutral. In reducing the school's carbon footprint, the plan creates five subgroups: administration, energy, material management, transportation and academics.

"It's not my plan," McDonald said. "It's the university's plan. Everyone's involved."

He encouraged students and faculty to offer comments on what they think, available online at the university's website next Friday, Oct. 30.

"This grade speaks to the work that many people have put in," McDonald said.

University personnel responsible for green initiatives include Al Lane, the manager of Environmental Services, which handles recycling; Betsy Andress, University Services Director, who manages purchasing; Steve Glass, the landscaping and grounds manager; Andrew McBride, the university's architect; George Souleret, the university engineer responsible for energy efficiency initiatives and technology; Dee Hardy, the Dining Services director responsible for green dining initiatives; John Hoogakker, vice president for University Facilities; and President Edward Ayers.

Contact reporter Keon Monroe at keon.monroe@richmond.edu