Women's basketball goes to 2-0 after win against George Mason

It took the University of Richmond women's basketball team the first 15 minutes of the game to get into a rhythm. But during the final 25 minutes of the game, the Spiders were anything but out of sync in a 78-52 victory over George Mason University.

Richmond held a slim 20-18 margin against the Patriots with 6:26 left during the first half. By the end of the half, the lead increased to 36-21 and Richmond was in control of the game.

Junior Brittani Shells led the attack with 20 points and four assists. Sophomore Abby Oliver added 16 points off the bench and senior Danielle Bell scored 13 points after being held scoreless during the first game against Western Carolina University on Nov. 13.

"Danielle is a great shooter," Richmond coach Michael Shafer said. "It's not often you see her go 0-for-night. Tonight was the exact opposite."

On the game, Bell shot 5-9 including 3-5 from beyond the 3-point arc.

Richmond held a 26-5 advantage in points from bench players. Sophomore Crystal Goring scored six points off the bench during her first game of the season after missing the previous game with an ankle injury. Shells said the Spiders are hard to stop when they get balanced scoring.

"It's always good to have more than one player in double digits," Shells said. "It shows our depth. When other teams scout us they can't say who our go to player is."

Richmond spread the ball around the court and tried to find the best possible shot, not the first available. That resulted in 50.8 percent shooting from the floor for the game.

"I thought we moved the ball incredibly well," Shafer said. "We had some wide open shots. When you have great shooters you knock them down."

The sharp shooting and crisp passing created 22 assists on 31 baskets. In the season opening victory over Western Carolina, Richmond only recorded 10 assists.

Richmond benefited from a turnover-prone Patriot offense. The 23 George Mason turnovers were turned into 16 points for Richmond.

The Spiders improved to 2-0 with the win. During the two games, they have outscored opponents 143-94.

Richmond plays next when Drexel University comes to the Robins Center at 7 p.m. on Nov. 20.

Contact staff writer Andrew Prezioso at andrew.prezioso@richmond.edu