Georgetown's three-point shooting sinks Richmond

The University of Richmond women's basketball team lost to Georgetown University 78-63 on Saturday.

The Hoyas' three-point shooting and ability to convert fouls into points at the free-throw line hurt the Spiders. Georgetown was 10-21 when shooting three-pointers and 10-14 at the free-throw line.

Richmond junior guard Brittani Shells was recognized before the game as only the 17th Richmond woman's basketball player to score 1,000 career points. She accomplished the feat Nov. 27 against the University of Clemson.

"It's a blessing," Shells said, "not too many people get to score 1,000 points in their college career and it's special."

Despite the scoring accolade, she was disappointed that the Spiders did not avenge their 65-49 WNIT loss to Georgetown last year. Shells said last year's loss gave the Spiders extra incentive to beat the Hoyas.

"It's not like we didn't put up the effort," Shells said. "You win some and lose some."

Shells finished the game with a team-high 16 points. Sophomores Abby Oliver and Rachael Bilney had 13 points and 10 points off of the bench.

Richmond coach Michael Shafer was pleased with his team's offensive effort but was upset with the defense.

"Offensively we were tacky but this did not carry over to the defensive side," he said.

Shafer was especially upset with the Spiders 3-point defense during the first half. The Hoyas shot 57 percent from beyond the arc and took a 40-31 lead at the half.

"If you let good shooters take shots they are going to make them," he said.

To prevent this during the second half he adjusted by telling his players to get in the Hoyas' faces and challenge them, he said. Richmond only surrendered two more 3-pointers during the second half.

Despite the loss, Richmond fought hard until the final buzzer. During the last minute, Richmond closed the deficit with two three-pointers from Bilney.

The Spiders play next against Radford University on Dec. 21 at the Robins Center.

Contact Collegian reporter Matt McMaster at matt.mcmaster@richmond.edu