Second-half comeback keeps Spiders perfect at home

For the third-consecutive game, the University of Richmond men's basketball team played a team expected to reach the NCAA Tournament. For the third-consecutive game, the Spiders came out with a close win.

The Spiders used a strong second half to overcome a nine-point halftime deficit and defeat Old Dominion University 67-60 Wednesday night at the Robins Center.

ODU led most of the first half after going on a six-minute, 13-0 run to take an 11-point lead. Richmond tried to get back into the game, but a banked three-pointer by ODU junior Darius James gave the Monarchs a 31-22 halftime lead.

The first half was a struggle for Richmond on offense and defense. Old Dominion played zone for most of the game, which limited the Spiders to only 22 first half points.

"We weren't moving in the first half," junior point guard Kevin Anderson said. "Me, I know personally, I was throwing it to the wing and staying up top. Coach [Chris Mooney] told me, 'Move and get the offense moving. When I kick it, just go through and get the offense started.' And once I get the offense started, good things happened."

On the defensive side of the ball, Richmond let up seven offensive rebounds, which the Monarchs turned into nine second-chance points.

"We gave up too many offensive rebounds," Anderson said. "That's how they score all their points. It's hard to get into a rhythm when they are missing their shots and getting their rebounds and going back up for easy layups."

During the second half, it was a completely different Richmond team that played. The Spiders started to move against the ODU zone, and got 45 second-half points on 12 baskets. Ten of those baskets were assisted.

"In the second half we really got some good shots because we got so much player movement and ball movement," Mooney said.

The Spiders also played their trademark stingy defense during the second half. The Spiders held Old Dominion to only 32 percent shooting from the floor and forced eight Monarch turnovers.

"[Richmond] plays pretty good defense," Old Dominion coach Blaine Taylor said. "They confuse you. Those kids are pretty experienced.

Richmond senior Ryan Butler had six quick points as Richmond went on a 15-4 run to start the second half. That gave Richmond the lead that it would hold onto for the rest of the game.

It was a nine-point Richmond lead with less than four minutes to go when the Monarchs started to full-court press the Spiders. ODU was able to cut the Richmond lead to five. But a Butler three-pointer gave Richmond a seven-point lead with less than two minutes left during the game to seal the victory for the Spiders, something that the Spiders struggled to do last year.

"Most of the time when teams had the lead on us [last year], we would just break down," Anderson said. "We are just hanging in there, staying confident, and we are coming away with wins in these big games."

During the previous two games, Richmond defeated a preseason-ranked Mississippi State University and a 2009 Elite Eight University of Missouri during the South Padre Island Invitational. The Spiders won the tournament and Anderson was named the Most Valuable Player of the tournament.

"[The wins are] great for our [NCAA Tournament] resume," junior Justin Harper said. "We are trying to get to the tournament. That's our ultimate goal right there. It starts with getting these big wins, whether it's on the road or neutral sites."

Harper led the way for Richmond with 14 points for the Spiders. All five starters, including Harper, finished in double figures in scoring. The starters scored 64 of the 67 points for Richmond.

Junior Keyon Carter, who finished with 12 points, was the only Monarch to score in double figures.

Old Dominion also played in the South Padre Island Invitational and finished fourth after losing to Missouri in the semifinals and to Mississippi State in the consolation game. The Monarchs were picked to win the Colonial Athletic Association to start the season.

With the win, Richmond moved to 7-1, its second-best start since 1954, when the Spiders started the season 8-1. Richmond has 10 days off before it can tie that mark when it takes on Virginia Commonwealth University in the Black and Blue Classic on Dec. 12.

Contact staff writer Andrew Prezioso at andrew.prezioso@richmond.edu