Richmond upsets No. 17 Temple, 71-54

For the second time this season, the University of Richmond men's basketball team defeated a ranked opponent, beating No. 17 Temple University, 71-54, Saturday afternoon at the Robins Center.

The Spiders came out roaring during the first half, shooting 77 percent from the field during the half while opening a 44-26 lead. That represented the best Richmond has shot in a half this year.

"We were hot tonight and that helped us get that big lead," senior David Gonzalvez said.

Five minutes into the second half, that lead was extended to 23 after sophomore Darrius Garrett blocked a Temple shot and junior Kevin Anderson hit a fast-break layup.

But Richmond then went on a nearly six-minute drought and let Temple back into the game. The Owls were able to cut the lead to eight with just under six minutes to play.

Richmond responded with a 12-3 run during the next five minutes to seal the game for the Spiders as they improved to 18-6 and 7-2 in Atlantic 10 Conference play.

"We realize that they are going to make runs," senior Ryan Butler said. "We are going to miss shots and turn the ball over. But at the end of the day, if we guard and make stops, we'll be fine."

That defense held Temple to 32 percent shooting. The Owls entered the game shooting nearly 43 percent.

"I think if our defense can be as solid as it has been, then we are going to give ourselves a chance to win every game," Richmond coach Chris Mooney said.

The Spiders were aided by the absence of sophomore Juan Fernandez from the Temple lineup. Fernandez, the team's second-leading scorer at 12 points per game, missed the game with a head injury that he suffered against Fordham University on Jan. 23.

"He's our best play-maker and the way Richmond defends you, you have to make plays," Temple coach Fran Dunphy said. "You are not really going to get much from your set offense and you need to make plays."

Anderson led the way for Richmond with 29 points. During his previous two games, Anderson scored a combined 15 points, but he said that his recent struggles never affected him.

"I wasn't concerned about my scoring or my stats," Anderson said. "I just wanted to go out and play hard and try to help my team win."

Gonzalvez added 13 points and Butler chipped in 12 points despite playing only 21 minutes because of foul trouble.

As a team, the Spiders shot just under 58 percent for the game. The 71 points scored by Richmond was above the 67 points that the Spiders were averaging. This was the first time that Temple allowed a team to score more than its average.

Richmond's first win over a ranked opponent this year was a 56-53 victory over then-No. 13 University of Florida on Dec. 19. The Spiders also defeated Mississippi State University this year, which was ranked 18th to start the year.

"We step up in big games against ranked teams," Anderson said. "We step up and get wins. That's what we pride ourselves on doing and continue to do."

Richmond will need Anderson's confidence when it goes to play at University of Rhode Island on Feb. 10. The Rams are tied with Richmond for second place in the A-10.

Contact staff writer Andrew Prezioso at andrew.prezioso@richmond.edu