Students get rare chance to see snow on campus

A winter storm blanketed the University of Richmond campus in about 11 inches of snow Saturday, causing varied reactions from students.

Recreational events signaled that many students were excited to see the grounds covered, because this provided a rare opportunity to play in snow in Virginia.

"I think it's beautiful," said freshman Sarah Pascual, who took photos from a hill overlooking the Westhampton Lake for an art class project.

In a location not far from her, an igloo was constructed around the base of a tree in front of the Academic Skills Center. The tunneled insides showed where students had gone in.

Trays from the Heilman Dining Center sat in odd spots on campus, such as by a car near the Weinstien Center and on a bench by Westhampton Lake. Others trays made for handy shields on Sunday during a snowball fight at the quad, the trays were used to block snowballs fired from a slingshot.

Freshman David Davenport said he spontaneously joined in sledding down the hill in front of the Boatwright Memorial Library on Sunday. With three others, he wrapped his legs around friends to connect as a group, and all four of them raced down the hill on trays from the dining hall.

Lines absent of snow on the hill marked where other students had sledded down previously. Two Tupperware storage lids along with two broken pieces of a wet floor sign and three dining hall trays were at the top of the hill.

Sophomore Serena Benigo talked about the snow on Sunday as she waited in 8:15 at Boatwright for a caramel macchiato. Originally from Atlanta, Benigo said the snow was more than she was used to. She walked around campus with friends on Saturday and saw snow plummet from the roof of a building. With a laugh, she said it had been like an avalanche.

Students stocked up on food from the ETC on Saturday. Hot pockets and soups were the most popular items purchased. Sophomore Jerry Giordano said he spent his time baking cookies, pies and brownies and playing Frisbee. But the highlight of his Saturday, he said, had been eating a waffle topped with whipped cream and strawberries.

But not everyone was excited to see snow on Saturday.

"I hate the snow," freshman Malori Holloman said. "It's manifestation of cold. I don't like to be cold and it only happens when it's cold, like really cold. So why would I like it?"

Contact reporter Keon Monroe at keon.monroe@richmond.edu