Afroman performance delayed, student reaction mixed

Rap artist Afroman performed during Pig Roast at the University of Richmond, arriving roughly an hour and a half after he was originally scheduled to perform at 3:30 p.m.

The Campus Activities Board booked and managed Afroman's performance at the Robins Center on March 27. Former president of CAB Josh Huffines described Afroman's tardiness as an "act of God." According to CAB, Afroman was delayed in traffic on Interstate 95 during his drive from Washington, D.C. Afroman's wife, who acts as his manager, contacted CAB president Amy Newsock about an hour and a half before he was scheduled to perform.

"We just got really unlucky," said Colby Sheffer, vice president of public affairs for CAB. A disc jockey performed at the Robins Center at 4:30 p.m.

Because of a forecast of inclement weather, CAB changed the location of Afroman's performance from outdoors to the Robins Center. Representatives said they would have risked getting sound equipment wet and that the Robins Center was an overall better venue for preserving sound quality.

Freshman Matt Chabal said, "The one song I did hear was not 'Because I Got High' or 'Colt 45'."

"He was older than I expected," said freshman Lisa Harrison.

Approximately 20 additional students were asked their thoughts on the Afroman performance, but they said they had not attended the show.

About 800 to 1,000 students initially showed up to see the performance at 3:30 p.m., said Max Vest, director of student activities and adviser to CAB. When Afroman eventually took the stage, the crowd had dwindled to about 300 to 400 students.

CAB plans to receive money back for the mishap, said Vest. Police had to be paid overtime to supervise the event. Afroman stopped performing at 6:15 p.m., and students exited the Robins Center without difficulties.

Freshmen Adwoa Asante and Cheyenne Varner said they had been offended by the school's decision to permit Afroman's performance. They described his lyrics as "derogatory toward females and humanity as a whole." Similar opinions were previously expressed on campus about whether Afroman's appearance was appropriate.

CAB has yet to decide who they will ask to perform for Pig Roast 2011. Similar to most student organizations, they receive Student Organization Budget and Appropriations Committee funding to host different entertainers.

This version CLARIFIES that Afroman did play "Because I Got High" and "Colt 45" during his set.

Contact reporter Keon Monroe at keon.monroe@richmond.edu