RCSGA holds debate on eve of presidential election

The two candidates for Richmond College Student Government Association president discussed the issues facing campus and their visions for the future in their only debate before Tuesday's election.

Suren Daryanani and Jason Viglianti, both two-term RCSGA senators, fielded questions from junior Ryan Erickson-Kulas, who moderated Monday night's debate, and from audience members.

Daryanani identified his three primary initiatives as improving student access to off-campus transportation so more students could see what the city has to offer, increasing student organization funding through separate endowment pots for specific organizations, and improving diversity and inclusivity by making students more aware of events.

Viglianti identified his three primary initiatives as helping develop the 10-year facilities plan with student input, discussing the possibility of constructing a garage to ease parking problems and working with IFC and Greek organizations to identify protocol for using lodges before football games beginning this fall at Robins Stadium. Daryanani agreed with Viglianti, stating that tailgating could bring the campus community together as a whole.

The candidates agreed on the importance of increasing sustainability initiatives and the benefits students gain from community service. Viglianti said tapping into what the city had to offer and increasing awareness of off-campus events would make the university more a part of the surrounding community. To achieve these ends, Viglianti pledged to work with faculty to incorporate community based learning initiatives into their lesson plans. Daryanani also said he would work with faculty, but he also promised to work with the Bonner Center for Civic Engagement and local alumni to find additional ways for students to engage with the city.

On the issue of the 10-year plan, which will include construction and renovations on campus, both candidates said that the plan required input from and collaboration with the study body. Viglianti said he would work with Resident Assistants to plan meetings in dormitories to provide students with an opportunity to share their opinions, while Daryanani said he would meet with student organizations to achieve similar ends.

Addressing the lack of student engagement with RCSGA, Daryanani said he hoped to improve the transparency of the Senate by interacting and working directly with students, while Viglianti said he wanted the RCSGA newsletter to be sent out more frequently and the RCSGA Web site to be updated more frequently so that it could provide a forum for students to discuss issues.

The two candidates concluded the debate by highlighting the reasons they would perform well as president.

Daryanani emphasized his experience with RCSGA, his listening skills and his ability to connect with a variety of students.

"I want students to feel comfortable with me at the helm," Daryanani said. "I want them to feel comfortable coming to me with concerns."

Viglianti said he had experience working with different student organizations and administrators and would be up to the task of communicating student needs.

"We may not experience these changes," Viglianti said, "but we have the opportunity to shape the future of the university, and I'm eager and excited to be a part of that."

Richmond College students can vote for RCSGA president from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Tuesday.

Contact staff writer Jimmy Young at jimmy.young@richmond.edu