Thursday, May 02, 2024

Leaders meet to discuss future of energy

Following a controversial cap-and-trade bill passed by the House last summer, and the Copenhagen summit on climate change this previous December, community leaders, scientists and businesspeople gathered at the Jepson Alumni Center Thursday to discuss America's energy strategy.

The conference, Vision 2020: A View of Our Energy Future, was highlighted by former Virginia governor George Allen, as well as executives from General Electric, the Natural Resources Defense Council and the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.

"It is a critical moment for honest discussion," said Aimee Christensen, an environmental activist. "In order for things to stay the same, they will have to change." Christensen was highlighting the failure of the United Nations climate conference to agree on emissions standards and regulation.

"It's about bringing people together, whether local, state or federal, industry or academia," said Stephen Taylor, a law student and moderator of one of the panels.

Throughout the day, groups met discussing energy regulation, the future of coal, nuclear power and emerging issues in energy policy.

When asked about the prospects of climate change legislation in the United States, Thomas Hudson of the Virginia Coal Association said, "If I had the answer to that, I'd be a millionaire." His sentiments were echoed by other members at the talk, as an air of uncertainty, but confidence appeared to be the order of the day.

But despite the sense urgency, not everyone is pleased. "I'm pessimistic," said Dr. Todd Lookingbill of Richmond's Geography department. "It feels like we're just rehashing old ideas."

University law professor Joel Eisen also expressed his doubts that anything more than conversation would occur in the near future. Eisen said a climate of doubt existed throughout the country, with legislative prospects being dimmed by this year's focus on the coming elections and the recent health care battle in congress.

Still, only time will tell the outcome of their collaboration and those taking place around the country and the world.

The Allen Chair symposium is a annual event sponsored by the University of Richmond School of Law and the Virginia State Bar.

Contact reporter Milos Jovanovic at milos.jovanovic@richmond.edu