Monday, April 29, 2024

Letter: What are you leaving behind?

We are often asked to reflect on how these four years have changed us; but what about the impact that we have made on the University of Richmond? When I came to UR I thought that I would start a ballroom dance club, but it just took a backseat as I played ultimate frisbee and did research and lived abroad for a year. This past fall I said, "Why not?" and Eight Left Feet, UR's new ballroom dance club, was born! Now our weekly meetings consistently have around 20 people or more and according to Facebook there are 78 members (Facebook never lies). It has been so much fun to be a part of the group and I am confident that the young members and our adviser, Dr. Scott Allison, will continue molding the club into something amazing!

So think about it, seniors: What are you leaving behind? Maybe you have inspired others, maybe you have helped make the campus more inclusive or green or friendly. Whatever it is — congratulations on making an impact. Underclassmen, you still have time so make it count! To everyone, don't let your last days pass you by in a blur of assignments! Take a break. Seriously. For example, you could stop by Eight Left Feet's Prom Take 2 at 9 p.m. Tuesday, April 20, in the Pier and get your dance on!