Young Democrats host discussion with Kaine

Tim Kaine, chairman of the Democratic National Committee, spoke to staff and students at the University of Richmond on Monday evening, discussing his role as a leadership studies professor and active politician.

Kaine began by speaking about his origins at the University of Richmond and early aspirations to run for city council. He was elected in 1994 to the Richmond City Council.

"I never thought I would be in politics," Kaine said. "I was a civil rights lawyer and still I kind of think of myself as a civil rights lawyer that has taken a 17-year temporary return in politics," he said to a crowd of about 30 people outside of the Gottwald Center for the Sciences.

"When I left at the end of '93, the spring '93 term, you know I said, 'I hope I can come back and teach again at UR one day,'" Kaine said.

Kaine served one term governor of Virginia and two terms as the mayor of Richmond and Lt. Gov. of Virginia.

During his last year as governor, he said he had thought he would pursue higher education when he finished his term as governor. President Edward Ayers extended a job offer to Kaine during his last year in office, but President Obama also offered Kaine a position as the head of the Democratic National Committee.

"When the president asks you to do something, there's only one answer," Kaine said. "It suddenly made a lot of sense for me to do this."

This semester, Kaine teaches a morning course at the Jepson School of Leadership Studies called Leadership Breakthroughs. The class is available to juniors and seniors and analyzes the qualities that enable leaders to make breakthroughs.

"My sense of timing is exquisite," Kaine said. "A book we're reading right now is T.R. Reid's 'The Healing of America,' comparing the American health care to other nations."

In the fall, Kaine will teach an advanced constitutional law course at the school of law called The Future of Equality.

Kaine went on to review his schedule as a politician. On Tuesdays, he leaves for Washington, D.C., works at the DNC office, then returns to Richmond at night. On Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays he travels across the country.

"It's pretty intense," he said. "I don't know if there is a normal week."

Attendants addressed Kaine with commentary and questions, including President Obama's agenda for the success of his presidency and environmental goals for the Democratic Party.

Kaine said he encouraged students and staff who did not attend the presentation to stop by his office on Monday afternoons. As a politician and professor, he said he tried to keep politics out of the classroom.

"We're talking sometimes about political topics," Kaine said, "but I want my students to feel completely free to express their views. Whatever they are, I want them to argue with me if they want to."

Young Democrats sponsored the event.

"Our goal is to try to get more people excited," said Charles Sabatier, president of Young Democrats.

Sabatier attended the 2010 Jefferson-Jackson Dinner in Virginia, a fundraising event held by democratic organizations nationwide. He said he had met famous democrats, such as Creigh Deeds, the former Democratic nominee for governor of Virginia, and congressman Bobby Scott. Sabatier hopes to get similar politicians to speak on campus before the November midterm elections.

Contact reporter Keon Monroe at keon.monroe@richmond.edu