Anderson comes back to UR

Rising-senior point guard Kevin Anderson withdrew his name from the 2010 NBA Draft on Friday and will return to the University of Richmond for his senior season.

Anderson declared for the draft on April 19, but he gave himself the option of returning by not hiring an agent.

"After exploring my options and getting feedback on my dream of playing in the NBA, I have decided to return to Richmond for my senior season," Anderson said in a statement released by the athletic department. "I love the University of Richmond, my teammates and my coaches. What I learned going through this process will only benefit myself and my teammates as we try to bring the Atlantic 10 Championship and another NCAA Tournament berth to Richmond next year."

Anderson was named the A-10 Player of the Year and was an Associated Press All-American honorable mention last year after leading the Spiders to a 26-9 record and the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2004. He was also selected to the A-10 Tournament team.

Anderson averaged 17.8 points per game and played about 37 minutes per game last year. He is only 6-feet tall, but that did not stop him from being a clutch player for Richmond, hitting many late-game shots in close games.

Over his three year career with the Spiders, Anderson has scored 1,549 points in his career which is eighth on Richmond's all-time scoring list. He needs about 350 more points to move into third on the list.

Anderson will join rising-senior Justin Harper and rising-junior Darrius Garrett as starters returning from last year's team. Coach Chris Mooney will also return after being rumored as a candidate for other coaching jobs.

"We are obviously excited to have one more season coaching a player as special as Kevin Anderson," Mooney said in a statement released by the athletic department. "We supported Kevin's decision to declare for the draft and look forward to his bright future, both in his final season with the Spiders and his professional career."

Anderson had until May 8 to withdraw his name to maintain his eligibility.

Contact staff writer Andrew Prezioso at andrew.prezioso@richmond.edu