The University of Richmond received 8,616 applications for the class of 2014, a record-breaking number up nearly 10 percent from last year, according to the Office of Undergraduate Admission. 2,856 students were accepted for an admission rate of 33 percent -- down from last year's admission rate of 39 percent. 819 students enrolled.
Forty states and U.S. territories are represented in the class of 2014, as well as 32 countries: Albania, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Bermuda, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cameroon, Canada, China, Cyprus, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Ghana, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Moldova, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan and Vietnam.
Some other facts about the 819 members of the class of 2014:
* 45 percent men
* 55 percent women
* 21 percent students of color
* 15 percent first-generation college students
* 10 percent non-native English speakers
* 7 percent international students
* 17 percent Virginia residents
* 60 percent from public schools
* 39 percent from independent schools
Enjoy what you're reading?
Signup for our newsletter
* 251 athletic team captains
* 69 students who worked 15 or more hours per week
* 48 student government or class presidents
* 37 editors of school publications
* 22 Eagle Scout or Girl Scout Gold Award winners
Contact staff writer Anna Kuta at email@example.com.
Support independent student media
You can make a tax-deductible donation by clicking the button below, which takes you to our secure PayPal account. The page is set up to receive contributions in whatever amount you designate. We look forward to using the money we raise to further our mission of providing honest and accurate information to students, faculty, staff, alumni and others in the general public.Donate Now