Kirchoff touchdown in OT secures home opener win

The University of Richmond defeated Elon 27-21 in overtime on Saturday in front of a sold out crowd in the inaugural game at Robins Stadium.

The Spiders elected to defend in overtime. Their defense held Elon out of the endzone, and then blocked a field goal attempt by kicker Adam Shreiner.

Richmond took the ball at the 25-yard line in their overtime possession, and only needed two plays to score. A 16-yard run by senior running back Tyler Kirchoff cemented the victory for Richmond.

Kirchoff said there were no words to describe his emotions as he gave his team the win.

"Once I saw the opening I just wanted to get in the endzone," Kirchoff said. "I'm glad I could do it."

Both the Richmond sideline and student section emptied as players and fans celebrated the win together.

The Spiders had the lead 21-14 with only two seconds remaining in the fourth quarter, but could not hold on. Elon quarterback Scott Riddle completed a 25-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Aaron Mellete in the back corner of the endzone as the clock expired to send the game to overtime.

The game featured strong play by both quarterbacks. Junior Aaron Corp was 19-32 for 207 yards and a touchdown. Riddle was 34-55 for 319 yards, three touchdowns and one interception.

Elon's offense took control of the game early. It took Riddle only seven passing plays to lead his team down the field for their first touchdown.

Richmond's offense on the other hand, started very slowly.

"On the first two drives we were three and out, but after that we moved the ball pretty well," Corp said.

On the Spiders' second possession, the center snapped the ball past Corp while the quarterback was motioning to one of his wide receivers. Corp overran the loose ball, and Elon recovered on Richmond's 34 yard-line.

The Spiders caught a break though. Elon's kicker, Shreiner, missed a 27-yard field goal off of the left upright that gave the Spiders the ball back.

It was Richmond's defense that provided them with an early spark. Senior captain Eric McBride supplied a big hit to an Elon receiver that jarred a pass loose and allowed junior defensive lineman Corey Jackson to make an interception.

"I just tried to run through the guy," McBride said. "I wasn't aware that it was intercepted at the time. Corey Jackson was at the right place at the right time... he got us off the field."

Richmond's first-year head coach, Latrell Scott, was critical of his team's early play.

"I didn't think we were playing very physical," Scott said. "I challenged my guys and they responded."

With 2:06 left in the fourth quarter, Richmond kicker Wil Kamin split the uprights and appeared to give his team a 17-14 lead. A personal foul was called against Elon for roughing the kicker, which gave Scott the option of taking the three points, or accepting the penalty. Scott chose to accept the penalty.

"It was an easy decision because I didn't want Scott Riddle to get the ball back with time on the clock," Scott said.

Richmond ran the ball twice, forcing Elon to use its last two time outs to stop the clock before sophomore running back Kendall Gaskins scored on an eight-yard touchdown run.

It was Scott's first win as a head coach. Former UR head football coach Mike London, now head coach at the University of Virginia, also won his first game against Elon, in 2008.

Scott praised his players for never letting their emotions rise too high, or fall too low.

"The main thing coming into this game was to get a win," Scott said. "We told them that the fans really didn't care about the Spider walk or the red jerseys. They just cared about us winning the game."

Contact staff writer Zak Kozuchowski at zak.kozuchowski@richmond.edu