Monday, April 29, 2024

No. 5 Princeton takes down Richmond, 7-1

Princeton University's mascot may be a tiger, but it was a shark attack that led Princeton to a 7-1 victory over the University of Richmond's field hockey team Friday afternoon at Crenshaw Field.

Junior Kathleen Sharkey, who was called 'Shark Attack' by her teammates, scored six goals for the Tigers, including three-straight to open the game. Even though Sharkey was the main source of offense for the Tigers, Richmond senior Tori Whitcher was impressed with the whole Princeton team.

"They just know where each other is," Whitcher said. "Their skill is so advanced and their just so fast. You go to defend them and the ball is behind you already and you don't even know how it got there."

The game was the Spiders' fourth in less than a week. On Wednesday, the Spiders played their first home game of the year with a 2-1 loss against Virginia Commonwealth University. That left them one day to prepare for Princeton, which came into the game as the fifth-ranked team in the nation.

"I think for me, I knew the big challenge was going to be this was our fourth game in seven days," Richmond coach Gina Lucido said. "Even if you're not playing the No. 5 team that's going to be a challenge."

Fatigue was not a factor for Richmond, at least not initially. Freshman Christina Amorose had a pair of chances early on but neither was converted. Senior Christin Hanley said that if one of the chances had been scored that the game could have turned out differently.

"There was a spark of energy when we did score but if it had come earlier on," Hanley said, "I don't think it would have been such a one-sided game goal-wise."

Said Lucido: "The girls came out and they attacked the game the first half. So when you attack and if you don't convert on it then, as Princeton did, they were able to counterattack on us and make good on their counterattacks."

Hanley scored Richmond's lone goal early during the second half, but by that time Princeton already led 5-0. About a minute after Hanley's goal, Sharkey scored to take away the momentum from Richmond.

Even though the goal took the momentum away from Richmond, it did not take away Richmond's confidence, Whitcher said.

"We know that we can score," Whitcher said. "We had that initial score and we know we can do it so I think that first goal gave us momentum. They're a great team and they scored against us after we scored, but we know that we can get another score because we just got one."

Lucido decided to replace freshman Anna Zarkoski with sophomore Ann Jefferis in goal to start the second half. Lucido said that she was worried that Zarkoski might not stay mentally focused although some of the goals may not have been her fault.

The Spiders have a week off before their next game on Sept. 16 at 7 p.m. at James Madison University.

Game Notes:

Princeton outshot Richmond 11-2 during the first half, but the Spiders held a 4-3 advantage during the second half. ... Sharkey's six goals came on eight shots on goal and 10 total shots. ... Freshman Chelsea Davies assisted on Hanley's goal. ... Richmond fell to 3-3 on the year.

Contact staff writer Andrew Prezioso at andrew.prezioso@richmond.edu