Friday, May 03, 2024

Letter: Westhampton College traditions

I am a Westhampton woman, but I have always been somewhat perplexed by what that means. I know Westhampton contains wonderfully bright and talented modern women, but I haven't seen that modernity reflected in Proclamation Night or Ring Dance. It bothers me that while Westhampton students are encouraged to be driven academically and socially, the Westhampton College traditions stay a reminder that, above all else, a Westhampton woman is a woman.

Both events come with the suggestion of a white dress for participants. While students are not obligated to wear a white dress to attend, it is the general understanding that they will. A white dress is symbolically significant. It hearkens back to the presentation of a woman as pure (read: virginal) in a time where the purity of a woman was a necessity in order for her to snag a man. In case this symbolism was lost on you at Proclamation Night, don't worry! It reappears two years later in the form of Ring Dance, where not only do you wear a white dress (some women buy wedding dresses for this event) but you are also led down the stairs of the Jefferson by your father, which is reminiscent of a father walking down the aisle to bequeath his daughter upon another man.

I attended both of these events twice, once as a participant and once as an assistant. I understand the value of getting together with members of your coordinate college and I agree that it is fun to have a fancy party junior year, but I'm not sure the historical basis on which these traditions stand represent the great caliber of today's Westhampton women or explore the true potential of the Richmond men.

If the entire junior class of Westhampton College climbed a mountain together the month before Ring Dance, I would see a reason to be proud of the tradition. If Richmond had a similar event where men descended the Jefferson's stairs accompanied by their mothers, I would see equality. Instead, I see gatherings that exist for the sake of having a tradition. I am a Westhampton woman, and I know Westhampton deserves better.