Response to crimes shows dedication to student safety

During the past two months, there has been more crime on campus than most of us could have ever expected. The vandalism, break-ins and assaults have caused many to wonder whether the University of Richmond is really as safe as it proudly claims to be.

But in recent weeks, the university has demonstrated that its commitment to student safety is paramount. First, men were allowed to ride the Safety Shuttle. Last week, university police, administrators and students spent more than two hours walking around campus, looking for high-risk areas that needed improvement. Student government organizations continue to seek feedback from students about how they can be made to feel safer on campus. And maybe most notably, after reports of a break-in to a locked University Forest Apartment, university officials wasted no time deciding to replace all of the locks in the UFAs.

Earlier this year, we urged the university to communicate more openly with the student body about safety and crime issues on campus, and it is clear that the police, deans' offices and student governments are taking this issue seriously and seeking a resolution. With the resources available at a school like Richmond, it is easy to take these actions for granted, but the implementation of recent safety improvement procedures should be applauded.

If you still feel unsafe or vulnerable on campus, contact your student government representative, the deans' offices, a police officer or The Collegian. University officials are willing to do whatever it takes to make this campus safer, we just need to give them the feedback they need to help.