As elections approach, campus stays relatively silent

On Tuesday, what some have predicted to be the biggest midterm election in modern history will take place, though you wouldn't know it from a walk around the Richmond campus.

Gone are the campaign signs, debate parties and conversations that you can now only find in a political science classroom. So what is the cause of the political apathy at Richmond?

It is, in a word, "environment." That's the response from leaders of both the College Republicans and Young Democrats.

"Its frustrating trying to get people involved," said College Republicans president Mary Martha Scott.

The Republican Party is expected to make large gains at the polls, including taking at least the House of Representatives, one of the country's two legislative chambers.

If that happens, it could pose serious problems for President Obama, whose efforts at expanding health care coverage and stabilizing the economy have drawn backlash from many who say the government is getting too powerful.

But how much appeal does that have for the average UR student?

The leaders of both clubs reported that, though there is a base for each party at the university, participation was not as high as they'd like.

"We have a solid e-mail list," said the Young Democrats president Charles Sabatier. "About 20-25 people."

Active participation for the Republicans is about the same, though Scott noted a lack of time due to increased workloads, especially at this point in the semester, was probably behind part of the drop-off.

When it comes to politics, however, UR does not suffer for want of resources. The university is a home to Democratic National Committee chair Tim Kaine, one of the most powerful political officials in the country. In addition, top Republican leader Eric Cantor, who represents the district in which the campus is located, is set to become majority leader should his party take the House.

Virginia does lack in competitive races because it elects its governors in odd-numbered years, and no senator is up for re-election until 2012. Aside from a couple of competitive House races, state voters have little to decide upon.

Dan Palazzolo, professor of political science, remembers what it was like during the election cycle just two years ago.

"It was more activity than I've seen in twenty years," he said. "Students were more active, and the Democratic party was trying to get out the vote. Today, it's decentralized."

But he said that, overall, Richmond did not have a very politically active student body.

President Obama will face re-election in 2012. For now, all agree that he will have a much more hostile Congress on his hands when it returns in January. Whether or not the students respond to the campaign that is sure to kick off right after this one, only time will tell.

Contact reporter Milos Jovanovic at milos.jovanovic@richmond.edu