Georgia Tech holds UR to season low in The Bahamas

The University of Richmond men's basketball team may have played the first-ever regular season NCAA basketball game in The Bahamas, but it was a forgettable experience for the Spiders. Richmond struggled with turnovers, fouls and was unable to stop Georgia Tech's attacking offense in its 67-54 loss Saturday evening at the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas.

Senior guard Kevin Anderson played 12 minutes in the first half as he picked up three early fouls. He ended up playing most of the second half but finished with just 12 points, five below his season average.

The first half in general was defined by fouls. There were 25 total fouls that half (14 by Richmond) as the teams combined for 15 baskets on 48 shots. Despite all of that, Richmond trailed by one headed into the half, 25-24.

Georgia Tech guard Iman Shumpert scored 18 of his game-high 21 points during the first half. Shumpert missed most of the second half with leg cramps but the Yellow Jackets shot nearly 61 percent from the floor during the half.

Richmond's season-long problems with foul shots and rebounds appeared again. At the half, both teams had 18 rebounds but by the end of the game, Georgia Tech held a 34-26 edge. Although Georgia Tech was able to get seven offensive rebounds (compared to three by Richmond), it was not a big factor as Georgia Tech got only four second-chance points.

The difference in free throws was a big factor. Richmond was 7-10 (an improvement on its 60 percent mark on the year) but Georgia Tech shot 29 free throws, making 23 of them.

Senior Justin Harper led the Spiders with 15 points and five rebounds. Sophomore Darien Brothers added 10 points on 4-9 shooting as Richmond was held to fewer than 60 points for the first time this year.

It was Richmond's first game since its 72-60 victory over Virginia Commonwealth University last Saturday.

With the loss, Richmond is now 8-3 this year and travels to Greensboro, N.C. to play the University of North Carolina at Greensboro at noon on Dec. 22.

Andrew Prezioso reported from Glen Gardner, NJ.

Contact staff writer Andrew Prezioso at andrew.prezioso@richmond.edu