Late run pushes Old Dominion over Richmond, 77-70

The University of Richmond held an eight-point lead with 9 minutes left against Old Dominion University, but the Monarchs went on a 15-5 run over the next five minutes to propel them to a 77-70 victory Wednesday night at the Ted Constant Convocation Center.

Kent Bazemore intercepted an inbound pass intended for Richmond's Kevin Anderson and took it the length of the court for a one-handed dunk to give the Monarchs a 63-61 and the lead for good.

The Spiders' late-game comeback attempt fell just short as they pulled within four with 30 seconds left in the game after freshman Cedric Lindsay hit a 3-pointer. Ben Finney then went 1-2 from the free-throw line for the Monarchs giving the Spiders the chance to make it a one-possession game. But sophomore Darien Brothers air-balled a 3-pointer, but the Spiders got another chance when ODU's Keyon Carter stepped out of bounds while coming down with the rebound.

Senior Justin Harper got the inbound pass under the basket and turned to his left to get his shot off. The shot missed off the glass and Finney grabbed the rebound with 15 seconds left. Finney made one more free-throw to seal the win for the Monarchs.

After the Spiders outrebounded their past two opponents 80-59, including then No.8-Purdue, the Monarchs held a 41-29 edge in rebounds. The Monarchs got 15 extra possessions off of offensive rebounds and scored 18 second-chance points.

Anderson had another impressive game for Richmond, scoring a team-high 23 points. Lindsay came off the bench to score 15 points and Harper had 14 points, all of which came during the first half.

Old Dominion kept Richmond off of the foul line until Lindsay went to the line for one shot with 1:27 left in the game. Lindsay made the free-throw to complete a three-point play but that would be Richmond's lone free-throw of the game whereas Old Dominion went 15-20 from the line.

Richmond fell to 6-2 and now has a long road trip to Tempe, Ariz., to play Arizona State University at 2 pm on Dec. 5.

Contact staff writer Andrew Prezioso at andrew.prezioso@richmond.edu