Chris Mooney signs 10-year extension to stay at Richmond

Richmond coach Chris Mooney has signed a 10-year extension to stay with the school through the 2020-21 season, the athletic department announced today.

Mooney told his team of his intention to stay with the Spiders at a 6 p.m. conference today. It had been previously reported that Mooney was in Atlanta talking to Georgia Tech today about its vacancy.

"Chris Mooney has demonstrated that he is the right fit for the University of Richmond. He has attracted quality student-athletes and guided them to success both on the court and in the classroom," Richmond athletics director Jim Miller said in a press release issued by the athletic department. "This agreement clearly demonstrates Coach Mooney's and the university's commitment to the long-term success of Spider basketball."

Mooney signed a seven-year extension after the end of last season. Financial terms of that extension and the new one were not released.

Richmond has gone to the NCAA tournament in back-to-back years for the second time in school history the past two years. Mooney just finished his sixth year at Richmond and is 112-87 during that stretch. His team set a school record with 29 wins this year and Richmond won its first Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament title this year.

"Jim Miller, President [Edward] Ayers and the entire University community have made this a place where we can build a national program," Mooney said in the press release. "We are excited about the commitment that the university has made to the basketball program and are looking forward to the future."

Mooney will hold a press conference at 11 a.m. tomorrow to announce the extension.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Contact staff writer Andrew Prezioso at andrew.prezioso@richmond.edu