Proper Nutrition + Physical Activity = A Rx for better health

Your car would not run very well on unclean fuel nor would it be able to get you where you need to go if the tank is on "E." I liken this scenario to the human body. It must be replenished with proper nourishment after it has been broken down due to physical activity. So why would you want to knowingly sabotage all of your well-intentioned efforts in the gym by not fueling up afterward? Perhaps he or she is uninformed or deliberately neglecting exercise regimes. I posit that it seems relatively easier to throw some dumbbells around in the gym but it takes a more concerted effort when paying attention to the proper fuel consumption and when to execute your meals. Those who think they can diet without exercising and those who think they can eat whatever they want because they exercise, are sadly misguided.

The American Council on Exercise offers up 10 common mistakes:

1. Skipping breakfast.

Skipping the most important meal of the day means you'll be hungrier later, which can make it more difficult to control both your diet and your weight.

2. Not eating before a workout.

Providing the body with food for energy allows for a better, more productive exercise session. Try eating a pre-workout meal consisting of carbohydrates, a little fat and some protein.

3. Waiting too long after exercise to eat.

One of the best things you can do to prepare for your next workout is eat a small meal that includes both carbohydrates and protein within two hours of your last workout session.

4. Replacing meals with energy bars or replacement drinks.

Many energy bars offer little more nutrition than your average candy bar and replacement drinks may lack adequate fiber. There's really no substitute for healthy whole foods.

5. Eating too much protein and not enough carbohydrates.

The once-popular "low or no" carbohydrate diets in the early to mid 2000s had many people trying to fuel their workouts with poultry instead of pasta. But carbohydrates are essential to effective workouts.

In fact, these carbohydrate naysayers have fallen on hard times as the notion of their diets simply does not make sense physiologically.

6. Trusting the accuracy of dietary supplement labels and claims.

Because the supplement industry remains largely unregulated, manufacturers can make unproven and untested claims about their products. Do your homework before putting anything into your body.

7. Not consuming the right amount of calories for the amount of activity you do.

Your caloric intake should be sufficient to support your active lifestyle, but not so abundant that weight control becomes a challenge.

8. Believing that exercise means you can eat whatever you want.

Whether you exercise a little or a lot, you still need to follow a healthy, balanced diet and watch your portion sizes.

9. Not drinking the right amount of fluids.

Dehydration can be a serious problem, especially if you exercise in hot, humid environments. Drinking fluids before, during and after exercise will help you maintain adequate hydration levels.

10. Jumping on the latest diet craze in search of that elusive "edge."

It's tempting to believe there is some magic formula out there that will dramatically improve our performance or lose weight, but the best approach is to stick to the basics and follow a healthy, balanced diet.