Spider women win ninth swim championship title at A-10s

The UR Women's Swim and Dive team took home the title last week at the Atlantic-10 championships. It was the team's ninth title in 10 seasons.

Matt Barany was named Coach of the Year for the fourth time in his career as head swim coach.

"Sweeping the five relay events was the highlight," Barany said.

He recalled what he said was the most inspiring moment of the week.

"I think Mina Vucic's anchor leg of the 400 Medley Relay was the most inspiring," he said. "She chased down the Fordham swimmer who had a two-second lead and beat her."

Senior Nicole LePere agreed with Barany.

"I will never forget Mina Vucic on the anchor leg of the 400 medley relay coming from behind to out-touch Fordham for the win," she said.

But the greatest recognition for a single swimmer went to a spider sophomore. Lauren Hines was named Most Outstanding Performer of the meet. Hines will advance to the NCAA championships held in Austin at the University of Texas. She will bring the nation's 14th fastest time in the 100 backstroke.

"I think the most rewarding moment of the meet," Hines said, "was finishing the last session of the meet on Saturday night knowing that every member of the team had given 110 percent. I don't think I will ever forget that week."

Junior Charlotte Bracket said the meet was a perfect culmination of the hard work the women had put in throughout the year.

"We had the goal of regaining the title in the back of our minds the entire season," she said. "And that showed in our practices every day. We worked harder than we ever had before because we all knew what we wanted and it really paid off."

Barany said the most rewarding moment of the week was watching the three seniors receive the team trophy. "They have been so loyal to our program and it was fitting to see them accept our award," he said.

Though the women said they would miss those seniors after graduation, they said they were confident in the team's younger talent.

The team next year is going to be really strong," LePere said. "We have some incredible freshmen coming in and I am sure everyone is going to be even faster next year."

Contact staff writer Julia Pepe at julia.pepe@richmond.edu