Class is in Session: Career Planning 101

The lazy days of summer are gone and it's time to put your pens and keyboards to work. With the start of the new school year comes a new opportunity for self-improvement. Maybe you'll go to the gym more frequently or make better grades. Whatever you decide to focus on this semester, make career planning a priority as well. It's never too early to start.

Life tends to accelerate by 50+mph during the semester, causing many of you to put career planning on the back burner. Resist the urge to do so. Allot a block of time in your schedule, approximately one to two hours each week, to focus on career planning. You may have to increase the time commitments during the weeks you have deadlines, but normally a few hours are enough. Be aware of your career planning but don't go crazy by allowing it to consume your life. Follow these tips to prepare for the semester:

1. Treat career planning like a class. No, you will not get credit on your transcript for doing the work but the more you put into the process the more you will get out of it. Use a binder to organize industry research, resumes, etc. or create a digital filing system. If you choose the digital route, don't forget to create a backup disc of your files.

2. Write your curriculum vitae (CV) and resume now. A curriculum vitae provides a summary of your education, skills and professional experiences. It is longer than a resume and places a greater emphasis on your academic background. Once you've written both documents, schedule an appointment at the Career Development Center (CDC) to have them reviewed.

3. Recruit your friends. It's easier to stay on task if you have someone going through the process with you. Friends can be a source of both professional and personal support as well as a great way to find out about other resources.

4. Become best friends with the CDC advisors. CDC advisors have knowledge of the resources available to you on campus. Plus they are usually the first to know about new internships and job opportunities.

5. Put your calendar/planner to use. Mark the dates of career fairs, company information sessions, special events, etc. Having all this information in one place allows you to plan in advance which events you want/need to attend.

Good luck this semester with all your social, academic and career planning endeavors. Don't forget that action is the vehicle that stimulates change, so get up and take action today.